Should you workout on vacation?
Long story short, it depends on what you enjoy doing, and if your goals require it. Taking a week off isn't going to kill your strength gains.
You should train on vacation if...
- If you want to.
- If your goals require it. If you're competing in a sport and the big day is coming up, stick to your plan!
- If it's possible to find a place to train, and you won't be trading in vacation memories for workout time.
You shouldn't train on vacation if...
- If you really don't want to.
- If you don't have the time for it.
- If you're trying to counteract vacation eating.
- If you're doing it to prevent guilt.
Tactics to prepare for vacation
With that said, there are ways to work around not training on vacation. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
If you're travelling during the middle or end of the week- Wednesday and beyond for example, consider frontloading your training sessions. Instead of a usual Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, do a Monday, Tuesday, then Wednesday AM session if possible.
If you usually workout 3x per week, train 4x a week for that month in anticipation of your vacation week.
A Normal Month
Week 1: Mon + Weds + Frid
Week 2: Mon + Weds + Frid
Week 3: Mon + Weds + Frid
Week 4: Mon + Weds + Frid
Week 1: Mon + Tues + Thurs + Fri
Week 2: Mon + Tues + Thurs + Fri
Week 3: Vacation Week 🏖
Week 4: Mon + Tues + Thurs + Fri
Whether or not you decide to workout on vacation, enjoy yourself! The point is to have a great time wherever you go. Training can either help or hinder your experience. If it's the latter, remember that you can always train when you get home, but it's not every day you get to explore new places.
White Lotus Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.