In fitness, results come later, never immediately.
Looking to build strength?
Lose body fat?
All of these goals take time. Some take a couple of weeks, while some could take months to years. How can you redefine your lifestyle to create lasting change?
The 3-step process to lasting results:
This is the entire foundation the training program is built upon.
- Consistency: Start consistently to get results.
- Sustainability: Make it sustainable to keep it going when it’s tough.
- Intensity: Add intensity to drive adaptation
Let's take a deeper dive into each step to understand why this foundation leads to growth.
Step 1: Consistency
- Train as often as your goals require.
- Maintain those sessions weekly.
Just starting your training journey? Maintain a consistent 3 sessions per week.
Consistency is the art of showing up regularly. It’s the entry-fee to change. Without it, we can’t get stronger, fitter, or work on any goal.
The beauty of consistency is that it has nothing to do with how amazing a session is. It’s subjective. Did you show up today? Yes or no? Going from 0 sessions per week to 3 is a massive win.
A beginner who shows up and does “ok” sessions will make tremendous progress, while an intermediate lifter who misses a session every other week will be stuck in the rat race of “getting back into it.”
Even the “perfect” training program won’t matter if you don’t show up.
Step 2: Sustainability
- It needs to work with your lifestyle and interests, not against it.
- It needs to be at the sweet spot between doable and challenging.
While consistency is the routine, sustainability is about keeping your training maintainable.
Sustainable training could look mean:
- Making sure your training plan aligns with your goals.
- Keeping exercises appropriate to your mobility & fitness level.
- Doing workouts you enjoy
- Staying well-recovered so training doesn’t burn you out.
- Having a plan during vacation times.
Step 3: Intensity
Intensity is all about adding MORE to training.
- More weight
- More reps
- More complexity
- More work in less time (less rest)
Intensity = Adaptation This is all about demanding more from our body to create adaptation, which leads to improved strength, mobility, endurance, etc. 👌🏾
Intensity works best when served with a platter of consistency & sustainability.
In fitness, you’ll often see promises of quick results:
”Lose 5lbs in 2 weeks.” ”30 Day 6-pack Abs Challenge” ”7-Day Juice Cleanses” “Go HARD for 75 Days; no bread, no alcohol, or “cheat meals”
The problem with this approach, is that it pushes you towards intensity without having a foundation of consistency & sustainability.
having to “get back into it.”
What’s common here is making huge lifestyle changes that don’t take your current lifestyle into account.
In a world of quick fixes and 30-day workout challenges, our goal is to create lasting results.
The ways to get lasting results from training:
- Consistency is key
- Keep it sustainable
- Add intensity after you get consistent with it
In a world full of quick fixes and 30-day challenges, I hope this helps you find your footing in creating lasting change.
White Lotus Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.